Wimbledon past to present, founded and inhabited by hard working, progressive people, striving to make a better community to live in.
Wimbledon means “Stronghold of the Bold Friend.”
It was the bold pioneers of the 1800′s who are credited with settling into the rolling prairie. This virgin sod and rich soil soon became popular farm land.
John Henry Gibson sold the land for a townsite on October 10, 1892.
The year 1893 brought the Soo Line Depot, a hardware store, livery barn and 2 grain elevators. This was also the year the Post Office changed the name over the door from “Gibson” to Wimbledon.
The next few years were spent growing into a regional trade center and Wimbledon was incorporated into a village in 1899.
In the early 1900′s large crowds gathered in Wimbledon’s Victory Park for horse racing events.
In 1950 Wimbledon became a city with a mayor and city council government. Known for its rich crop lands, it was once home to 8 grain elevators and was called the “City of Elevators”.
Wimbledon Midland Continental Railroad Depot – Home of Peggy Lee.
Wimbledon is the home of the last remaining Midland Continental Railroad Depot, built in 1913. Peggy Lee (1920-2002) an American jazz and popular singer, songwriter, and actress lived and worked as a young girl (1934-1937) in this very Depot. The community of Wimbledon and the Midland Continental Depot Restoration Committee are working together to renovate, preserve and celebrate this Depot. Grand Opening was May 26, 2012.
Midland Continental Depot Museum will now be open Summer 2012 daily from 1:00 – 4:00 pm, Memorial Day to Labor Day.